The Larry Salley Photography Award
Presented by ArtsWestchester in partnership with the African American Men of Westchester
ArtsWestchester seeks nominations for Hudson Valley-based photographers, with a significant body of work of outstanding artistic merit to receive the third annual Larry Salley Photography Award. The award recipient will be furnished with a $1,000 cash prize.
All award nominees will be reviewed and selected by a panel consisting of ArtsWestchester’s Arts Committee, the African American Men of Westchester, and the family of Larry Salley.
The award will be presented at ArtsWestchester’s annual Arts Award Luncheon in April, 2020.
APPLICATION CRITERIA & Eligibility
- Nominees should be artists who convey their unique visions through the medium of photography.
- Artists must live in, maintain a studio, or have strong ties to the Hudson Valley region (Westchester, Rockland, Putnam, Orange, Dutchess, Ulster, and Sullivan Counties).
- Artists must be actively exhibiting current work in professional artistic venues. ArtsWestchester encourages nominations of artists for whom a cash award would aid them in the advancement of their professional practice.
- Nominations of artists who are working to complete a body of work, or towards a specific exhibition are strongly encouraged.
- Nominators/artists should provide a brief statement describing why you think you/the candidate merits consideration for the Larry Salley Photography Award and how the award would help advance your/the artist’s career.
- The deadline for applications is 11:59pm on Monday, January 20, 2020.
- Self-nominations are welcomes, but photographers should provide the name, contact information, and profession of at least one reference.
ABOUT LARRY SALLEY & THE LARRY SALLEY PHOTOGRAPHY AWARD
ArtsWestchester is partnering with The African American Men of Westchester in order to celebrate the life and artistic achievements of Lawrence “Larry” C. Salley who was an active member of both organizations. Larry lived and worked in Westchester County (White Plains) where he assumed the leadership roles of Deputy Commissioner of the Westchester County Department of Planning and Commissioner of the Westchester County Department of Transportation. In his spare time, he was a gifted photographer. His photos were recently featured in an ArtsWestchester exhibition called “The Photographer’s Journey: A Tribute to Larry Salley”.
For questions, please contact: Logan Hanley, Gallery Manager, Lhanley@artswestchester.org or 914.428.4220 ext 331